JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags drug addiction , christianity , atheism , drugs

Old 17th June 2010, 07:51 AM   #201
Kogloron
Student

I quit smoking... It didn't happen from any divine intervention, it didn't happen because Atheists have power. It happened because I love my wife more then I loved smoking. End of story.
I'm gonna have to say that overall the statistics stand as this:
People who quit drugs from the power of Christ - Zero
People who quit drugs from the power of Atheism - Zero

Let me give you some credible sources on how people quit something:
Peer pressure, will power, death, self-preservence, lack of funds, probably more
Christ falls under "will power"
Kogloron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2010, 11:58 AM   #202
wolfgirl
Graduate Poster

Several years ago, we were looking into possible treatment for our son, who we feared had a drinking problem (still not completely sure he doesn't, but he seems to be doing okay). We wanted something secular and non-12-step. I found this group, Secular Organizations for Sobriety:

http://www.sossobriety.org/

For every person that uses religion to save themselves from addition, who knows how many use other methods that have nothing to do with religion, ranging from simple self-help to medical treatment. Religion doesn't save anyone, it just provides the means that the person needs to do it themselves.
Old 17th June 2010, 08:51 PM   #203
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kogloron View Post
People who quit drugs from the power of Atheism - Zero
See my post #195.
Old 17th June 2010, 09:50 PM   #204
six7s
veretic

The power of atheism solved my addition

Code:
		+	 2
		+	 3
		+	 4
		+	 5
		+	 6
		+	 7
		+	 8
		+	 9
		+	10
		+	11
		+	12
		+	13
		+	14
		+	15
		+	16
		+	17
		+	18
		+	19
		+	20
		+	21
		+	22
		+	23
		+	24
		+	25
		+	26
		+	27
		+	28
		+	29
		+	30
		+	31
		+	32
		+	33
		+	34
		+	35
		+	36
		===========
		===========

Last edited by six7s; 17th June 2010 at 10:04 PM.
six7s is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy