JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags homeopathy , reflexology

Old 9th August 2007, 07:57 PM   #1
Miss Whiplash
Nettlesome Harpy

Kinoki Detox Footpads

For $19.95, this product claims to remove the toxins from your body though the soles of your feet,while you sleep.

Quote:
This amazing system for cleansing the body is based on the ancient practices of foot reflexology. Working much more quickly than other detox methods and using the natural cleansing power of double distilled bamboo vinegar, harmful substances are drawn out of your body.

You’ll feel the results right away as you rid your body of things like: heavy metals, toxins, metabolic waste, chemicals and even parasites. You'll be better able to combat fatigue and even lose weight.

"Bring me the head of the preacher man!" Siouxsie Sioux

(Concerning my avatar) "...I was worried that someone that ugly would be dumb enough to put herself up for public ridicule." - The Atheist
Miss Whiplash is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2007, 08:19 PM   #2
Normal Dude
Space Shuttle Door Gunner

Hey, if it's an ancient practice, it's gotta work, right?

Rght?

And I dont care if your name is Norm or Jack, Or Dick. I dont see why you have to post your name everytime you make a comment./ its IRRELIVANT -Rwalsh
Normal Dude is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2007, 09:40 PM   #3
Miss Whiplash
Nettlesome Harpy

I gave it a blog entry anyway. Judging by the ingredients, it appears to be noting more than a mild exfoliant.

Why do feet need negative ions?

(Concerning my avatar) "...I was worried that someone that ugly would be dumb enough to put herself up for public ridicule." - The Atheist
Miss Whiplash is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2007, 03:13 AM   #4
Cuddles
Decoy

Location: A magical land full of pink fluffy sheeps and bunnies
They save your sole?
Old 10th August 2007, 10:02 AM   #5
IMST
If Charlie Parker Was a Gunslinger, There'd Be a Whole Lot of Dead Copycats

I think the Violent Femmes summed this up nicely:
Quote:
he's tellin'
lies lies lies
lies lies lies lies
lies lies lies lies
lies lies lies
IMST is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2007, 02:33 PM   #6
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Harriet Carter is carrying this item. I was glad to see that they'd dropped Trudeau.
Silly Green Monkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2007, 02:46 PM   #7
Big Les
Not so much a medium as a large

I've seen similar things "tested" on UK TV - the pads got a bit dirty (yuck) whilst a foot-spa machine produced gross brown water...via some sort of electrolysis corrosion mechanism - it did the same thing with no added ingredient (can't remember what was added) and no feet in it. The rep had no answer for that as I recall. Sorry, can't remember the brand of either of those, but they must have been around in one form or another for a few years. Even if they aren't truly "ancient".

The BS Historian
Big Les is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2007, 04:29 PM   #8
JimBenArm
Based on a true story!

Originally Posted by The Vampire View Post
I gave it a blog entry anyway. Judging by the ingredients, it appears to be noting more than a mild exfoliant.

Why do feet need negative ions?
So they can feel positive about themselves?
Old 11th August 2007, 01:31 AM   #9
Blue Wode
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Big Les View Post
I've seen similar things "tested" on UK TV - the pads got a bit dirty (yuck) whilst a foot-spa machine produced gross brown water...via some sort of electrolysis corrosion mechanism - it did the same thing with no added ingredient (can't remember what was added) and no feet in it. The rep had no answer for that as I recall. Sorry, can't remember the brand of either of those, but they must have been around in one form or another for a few years. Even if they aren't truly "ancient".

Was it the Aqua Detox?
http://www.devicewatch.org/reports/aquadetox.shtml

You can find another excellent debunking of detox foot baths in this news item:
http://www.click2houston.com/video/5425517/index.html
(A 15 second ad precedes the 4 minute segment)

And Orac thoroughly debunked foot detoxification machines and ‘miracle foot patches’ in his Friday Dose of Woo yesterday:
http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/20...footb.php#more

Last edited by Blue Wode; 11th August 2007 at 01:37 AM.
Blue Wode is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2007, 05:32 AM   #10
Big Les
Not so much a medium as a large

That's the fella (the bath that is). Not sure which foot pads I saw "tested" though. It was only on something "lite" like GMTV or it's ilk, but even they were able to show there was nothing in it.

The BS Historian
Big Les is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 08:20 AM   #11
DJ Hexadecibel
Thinker

Anyone brought this up to Randi? It'd make a great SWIFT entry.
“If you hate your parents, the man, or the establishment, don't show them up by getting wasted and wrapping your car around a tree. If you really want to rebel against your parents: outearn them, outlive them, and know more than they do.” -Henry Rollins
"A witty saying proves nothing." -Voltaire
“Sometimes the truth hurts. And sometimes it feels real good.”-Henry Rollins
“It is a fool's prerogative to utter truths that no one else will speak.” -Neil Gaiman
DJ Hexadecibel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 09:02 AM   #12
Miss Whiplash
Nettlesome Harpy

Originally Posted by DJ Hexadecibel View Post
Anyone brought this up to Randi? It'd make a great SWIFT entry.
I sent it to him last Thursday evening. I'd love to see Randi's commentary!

Old 16th August 2007, 09:07 AM   #13
DJ Hexadecibel
Thinker

Kewl frickin' beans! The Wanderings Blog has a short, but sweet, entry on the product.
“If you hate your parents, the man, or the establishment, don't show them up by getting wasted and wrapping your car around a tree. If you really want to rebel against your parents: outearn them, outlive them, and know more than they do.” -Henry Rollins
"A witty saying proves nothing." -Voltaire
“Sometimes the truth hurts. And sometimes it feels real good.”-Henry Rollins
“It is a fool's prerogative to utter truths that no one else will speak.” -Neil Gaiman
DJ Hexadecibel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 09:30 AM   #14
Miss Whiplash
Nettlesome Harpy

I put it on my blog, but didn't get that many hits. I think the feet put readers off.

Old 16th August 2007, 09:50 AM   #15
patrick767
Thinker

Given that most ancient cultures had very short average life spans like 30 years or so, why on earth do so many people want to take health tips from them?
patrick767 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 10:13 AM   #16
Miss Anthrope
All your post are belong to us

Originally Posted by patrick767 View Post
Given that most ancient cultures had very short average life spans like 30 years or so, why on earth do so many people want to take health tips from them?
I know!!! This is what really puzzles me. This belief that the ancients were so wise in their ways!!
Old 16th August 2007, 01:05 PM   #17
grayman
Happy-go-lucky Heretic

Originally Posted by The Vampire View Post
I put it on my blog, but didn't get that many hits. I think the feet put readers off.
I thought about posting something on your site about being able to see Jesus or the Virgin Mary in the brown stains.

All great truths begin as blasphemies. - George Bernard Shaw

God is evil. As soon as you accept that, it all makes sense. - Sledge
grayman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2007, 06:38 AM   #18
Miss Whiplash
Nettlesome Harpy

I'm shattered Randi did not use my foot pads in his commentary. That was the best bit of quackery I've seen in several years. It trumps Popoff's new miracle water.

Old 19th November 2007, 08:35 AM   #19
Anne Thraz
New Blood

Kinoki footpads work like those Stridex acne pads, using mild adhesive to pull dirt and other detritus from the skin. The soles of the feet are seldom completely clean -- they're awkward to scrub, soaping the soles creates a risk of slipping, and most people do at least some walking barefoot -- so it's easy to find dirt there. The dirt diminishes over days of the Kinoki regimen because, by wearing the pads, there's no more walking barefoot. You could get the same results from duct tape.
Kinoki's claims suggest that if "toxins" are not pulled from the bottom of the feet they will migrate to the hair on the head is absurd.
Anne Thraz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2007, 08:49 AM   #20
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

I have a woo friend who told me about using these.

I'm just wondering what physiological process results in depositing "toxins" near the soles of the feet anyway.

Originally Posted by Anne Thraz View Post
Kinoki's claims suggest that if "toxins" are not pulled from the bottom of the feet they will migrate to the hair on the head is absurd.
Hmm. . . and since hair is physiologically dead that would be a safe place for these hypothetical "toxins" anyway, so using their foot pads is disrupting the body's own natural way of handling them.

Sounds dangerous. And they no doubt have chemicals in them!
Old 20th November 2007, 08:03 AM   #21
Cuddles
Decoy

Location: A magical land full of pink fluffy sheeps and bunnies
Originally Posted by JoeTheJuggler View Post
I'm just wondering what physiological process results in depositing "toxins" near the soles of the feet anyway.
Gravity?
Old 20th November 2007, 08:13 AM   #22
goak69
Student

Location: Far beyond where the geek graze, in the soft glowing light of flatscreens
About a year ago I posted a thread about losing weight in a similar fashion...

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=69305

^^
goak69 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2007, 09:36 AM   #23
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
Gravity?
That's a rather arch response!

I said "physiological" not "physical".

What makes the toxins? If they're talking about ingested toxins, how would those get to the soles of the feet?
Old 20th November 2007, 12:48 PM   #24
Showmeproof
Critical Thinker

The chick with the blonde hair and the pink nightgown in the infomercial movie looked pretty hot. I wish I can wake up to her very morning......Oh yeah, funny product!
Showmeproof is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2007, 02:20 PM   #25
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
They save your sole?
I'd feel like such a heel if I toed you that was a corny pun.
Old 20th November 2007, 10:52 PM   #26
Apology
Reader's of the Boden Codex

Seems like it would be more convenient if they could remove the toxins during the day, like Odor Eaters do.

Plus Odor Eaters are cheaper.
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2007, 11:04 PM   #27
NorfolkAtheist
Thinker

It has gotten so that when I hear the word "toxins" I think to myself...."bull#$!+."
NorfolkAtheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2007, 12:34 AM   #28
dirtywick
Graduate Poster

I'm trying to get rid of this athelete's foot, which is about the only thing this thing doesn't claim to cure. Thanks a lot Kinoki, you jerks.

For real though, who wants to put a pad on their foot and then wake up and pull it off and look at the big brown smear? That's like wiping your ass and leaving the toliet paper in there until morning to absorb the fecal matter.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2007, 09:38 PM   #29
bob_conklin
Scholar

buykinoki.com/?cid=378267

The commercial claims pretty specific claims. Total elimination of benzine and mercury from the blood in laboratory tests are just 2. I just saw the commercial on TV this week and couldn't believe that they would make all those claims so b latently. I thought for sure that Randi was going to put something up this week but he didn't.

This is an easy one. How do we get exposure on this?
bob_conklin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 07:00 PM   #30
Frozenwolf150
Formerly SilentKnight

Anyone who uses the word "toxins" as an advertising catch needs to take a biology lesson on the role and function of the liver.
Old 29th December 2007, 07:13 PM   #31
kosai
Recently Audited Thetan Cluster

Originally Posted by Miss Whiplash View Post
It trumps Popoff's new miracle water.

Is that like New Coke?? I'd better order soon.
kosai is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 07:28 PM   #32
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

Quote:
Experience Kinoki’s Natural Power of Nature

Well that’s good I hate when I experience the unnatural power of nature.

Another good thing is it says it will rid your body of things like “chemicals” so they must have gotten around the annoying fact that a body is made up of “chemicals” (must be due to the natural power of nature). I never really enjoyed being comprised of chemicals anyway, it always made me feel so synthetic and unnatural.
"Not a seat but a springboard” (1942 Winston Churchill) "As he who, seeking asses, found a kingdom" (1671 Milton "Paradise Regained") "for it seem'd A void was made in nature, all her bonds Crack'd; and I saw the flaring atom-streams And torrents of her myriad universe, Ruining along the illimitable inane, Fly on to clash together again, and make Another and another frame of things For ever." (1868 Tennyson "Lucretius")

Last edited by The Man; 29th December 2007 at 07:30 PM.
The Man is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 07:38 PM   #33
kosai

not to mention "kinoko" in Japanese means mushroom... Fungus near your feet? Doesn't sound too attractive to me.

They show some kanji in the video which looked to me like 木樹 though it's too small for me to be sure.. Those say kiki and both mean tree. So seems their (mysterious ancient) Japanese department got it wrong.

If nothing else... it's an interesting magic trick.. anyone have any idea how they turn brown and then can't after some time after using?

Last edited by kosai; 29th December 2007 at 08:10 PM.
kosai is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2007, 08:40 AM   #34
Uncle Vanya
Scholar

I always love things that claim that they're based on an ancient practice. I always wonder if in China or Japan they have commercials for products "based on the ancient European practice of bloodletting and leeches."
Uncle Vanya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2007, 04:57 PM   #35
Bri
Philosopher

I saw the TV commercial in the U.S. just yesterday. It claims that the pads are "useful" for many ailments including diabetes and high blood pressure. According to the commercial, the pads pull toxins out of your body through your feet, including parasites and cellulite!

The commercial made some testable claims, including that the pads would turn dark when you first used them but would gradually be lighter and lighter as toxins were removed from your body (presumably after a few weeks they would remain totally white). The commercial also lists the toxins that were found on the pad by lab tests during the first few uses that would no longer be present after several weeks. It would be fairly easy to test these claims to see if they are true.

Here's the commercial on youtube (seems to be the same one that's on the kinoki website):

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

On their website, the only reference to the independent study that supposedly proves their claims is a page that says "coming soon." Note that the "free footpads for life" requires you to pay ~$13 shipping and handling for 10 pads each month. Presumably, you use 2 per night (one on each foot), which means that they only give you 5 night's worth per month while the FAQ states that "[d]epending on the individual, the detox may require two to three weeks or longer in the case of greater toxicity build-ups." No word on how much it costs you for additional pads if they don't turn white after 5 nights. Oh, and if you're an amputee, don't worry -- you can also use them on other "targeted" body parts such as the shoulder or knee.

-Bri

Last edited by Bri; 30th December 2007 at 05:31 PM.
Bri is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2007, 10:25 AM   #36
Anne Thraz
New Blood

I have seen these commercials about a dozen times. Yes, the pads appear cleaner on successive days; you can get the same effect using duct tape. Naturally, the first time the adhesive pad is used, there's a lot of detritus pulled from the foot. As the days pass, the repeated use of the adhesive pads - plus, very importantly, that wearing the pads means there's less actual barefoot walking -- leaves less and less on the feet for the next day's pad. Simple.

As for those lab tests: I suspect the tests are of the stuff found on the pads, not blood tests or even hair tests.

I suspect that if one uses a complete "treatment" - until the pads are completely free of dirt -- and then returns to old habits regarding foot hygiene and barefoot walking, the "toxins" will return completely within a few months.

Last edited by Anne Thraz; 31st December 2007 at 10:28 AM.
Anne Thraz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2007, 10:36 AM   #37
Bri
Philosopher

The commercial shows graphics of both hair tests and also tests of toxins on the pads after use (and of course less and less of said toxins after successive uses). Of course, no tests are actually cited on their website.

-Bri

Last edited by Bri; 31st December 2007 at 10:37 AM.
Bri is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2007, 10:37 AM   #38
Lisa Simpson
Evil Minion
Administrator

I would love to try an experiment with these, but I don't know anyone who could run the lab tests on them and I don't have the $$ to cough up for the tests myself.

Facts are satanic litter on the heavenly highway to blind faith! - Betty Bowers
Lisa Simpson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2007, 05:19 PM   #39
kosai

Originally Posted by Lisa Simpson View Post
I would love to try an experiment with these, but I don't know anyone who could run the lab tests on them and I don't have the $$ to cough up for the tests myself.
I think it's a great idea for an expiriment. I work for a university and have found they can be rather helpful. Usually a few emails to a professor is all it takes as they love something interesting to test that also has strong educational value. I'd say I'd ask myself but find the idea of recieving used foot pads in the mail rather revolting.
Old 3rd January 2008, 01:55 PM   #40
kosai

Originally Posted by Anne Thraz View Post
I suspect that if one uses a complete "treatment" - until the pads are completely free of dirt -- and then returns to old habits regarding foot hygiene and barefoot walking, the "toxins" will return completely within a few months.
I don't buy this theory because I've talked with someone who has used this product. They say it will change color on any part of the body. I assume it's some kind of chemical reaction but what is it depleting or soaking into your skin to make it stop changing color?

Last edited by kosai; 3rd January 2008 at 02:03 PM.

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal