JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 30th August 2007, 12:40 PM   #1
triadboy
Master Poster

Valedictorian Files Suit Over 'Jesus' Speech

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/educ...54/detail.html

Quote:
"We are all capable of standing firm and expressing our own beliefs, which is why I need to tell you about someone who loves you more than you could ever imagine. He died for you on a cross over 2,000 years ago, yet was resurrected and is living today in heaven. His name is Jesus Christ. If you don’t already know him personally I encourage you to find out more about the sacrifice he made for you so that you now have the opportunity to live in eternity with him."
They should take away her diploma for believing such crap....oh yeah...I guess they did.
triadboy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2007, 12:50 PM   #2
Temporal Renegade
Last of the Time Lords

I wonder how any Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, or atheist students automatically dropped their old belief system and picked up the Banner of Christ from her little speech. Not many, I'd guess.
Old 30th August 2007, 12:51 PM   #3
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Overreaction much?

I don't really see the problem with her speech.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2007, 12:54 PM   #4
Temporal Renegade
Last of the Time Lords

I just noticed that Erica Corder (the person involved in the speech) now works for the Liberty Council in Florida, which is 'dedicated to advancing religious freedom'.

Funny, with all the 'religious' people working in Washington, I still wonder where their 'rights' are being so blatantly violated...
Old 30th August 2007, 12:55 PM   #5
KingMerv00
Penultimate Amazing

First off, I am the most athiest atheist of all...

What the hell was the school hoping to achieve by taking away her diploma? Even if I agree that she shouldn't say things like that at a graduation, I'm not sure how holding her diploma makes the situation any better. Feelings were hurt, milk was spilt. Wah. Now suck it up and move on with life.

Last edited by KingMerv00; 30th August 2007 at 12:58 PM.
KingMerv00 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2007, 12:57 PM   #6
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by KingMerv00 View Post

What the hell was the school hoping to achieve by taking away her diploma? Even if I agree that she shouldn't say things like that at a graduation, I'm not sure how holding her diploma makes the situation any better. The milk is spilt. Suck it up and move on with life.
So there should be no recourse, and thus no need to approve speaches for school graduations? THe only recourse should be for slander?

If you have no way to enforce a rule, you can not have a rule.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2007, 01:00 PM   #7
quixotecoyote
Howling to glory I go

She broke the rules. All she has to do is apologize for breaking the rule and she gets the diploma. Heck, even doesn't even have to apologize, she just has to ACKNOWLEDGE she broke the rule.

Schools need to be able to enforce some standards for what is allowed during student speeches. This is not an issue about religion, but about a deliberate violation of school policy and the resultant consequences.
Old 30th August 2007, 01:06 PM   #8
ksbluesfan
Graduate Poster

If Jesus was such an important part of my life that I couldn't follow the rules established by a public school, I would probably go to a Christian school, but that's just me.
ksbluesfan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2007, 01:06 PM   #9
Temporal Renegade
Last of the Time Lords

Originally Posted by quixotecoyote View Post
She broke the rules. All she has to do is apologize for breaking the rule and she gets the diploma. Heck, even doesn't even have to apologize, she just has to ACKNOWLEDGE she broke the rule.

Schools need to be able to enforce some standards for what is allowed during student speeches. This is not an issue about religion, but about a deliberate violation of school policy and the resultant consequences.
If she didn't think it would be a problem, why did she slip it into the final speech, and not in the rehearsals?
Old 30th August 2007, 01:08 PM   #10
george@etcorngods.co
Banned

About ten years ago, my daughter was upset at a prayer being said at a University of Del Engineering event. She wrote a letter to the President of the school. I thought they wouldn't do anything, but the President wrote all professors and dept heads and said from then on, there would be no expression of religion at any school event, including prayer.
My kids went to many schools (Univ of Mich, Cornell, Syracuse, etc.). None of them could hold a candle to Univ of Del -- a very fair school where the student comes first with all who teach and administer.
george@etcorngods.co is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2007, 01:10 PM   #11
Hammer_of_Thor
Thinker

Wow. I knew there were different levels of x-ians but to be the "most atheist atheist".
Hammer_of_Thor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2007, 01:11 PM   #12
KingMerv00
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
So there should be no recourse, and thus no need to approve speaches for school graduations? THe only recourse should be for slander?

If you have no way to enforce a rule, you can not have a rule.
I'm not so much attacking their rule as the practical outcome of their actions. They might as well have set up a cross on the football field so she could at least martyr herself properly. I say don't throw her into the briar patch.

Besides, the "damage" was so minor that enforcing the rule in this case was bound to cause more trouble than it is worth. Part of enforcing the rules is being judicious.

That isn't to say there aren't ANY circumstances I wouldn't withold a diploma.
Old 30th August 2007, 01:12 PM   #13
quixotecoyote
Howling to glory I go

Originally Posted by Temporal Renegade View Post
If she didn't think it would be a problem, why did she slip it into the final speech, and not in the rehearsals?
That's where the deliberate violation comes in. If she had tried to put it in at rehearsal and been told no, THEN she would have a legitimate freedom of speech issue. But she didn't, so we don't know whether it would have been or could have been made permissible. The fact that she broke school policy in making her speech rather than following school policy and being suppressed means that the blame falls on her rather than the school.

If the school had actually engaged in religious discrimination that would be a problem. From all the evidence available, it didn't.
Old 30th August 2007, 01:13 PM   #14
MWare
Muse

Do schools really have 15 valedictorians these days? Doesn't that detract a little bit from the honor? Is it so they can get lots of kids into Ivy Leagues?
"I am all in favor of a dialogue between science and religion, but not a constructive dialogue. One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment." --Steven Weinberg
MWare is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2007, 01:14 PM   #15
articulett
Banned

Would the people supporting this girls right to free speech support my right to say the perfectly secular comment that I owe my success from learning that faith and feelings are bad ways to find the truth and not to trust anyone who makes you feel guilty about asking questions as chances are they are lying to you or themselves?

I was a Valedictorian and an atheist, but somehow I don't think my rights to free speech would have been as loudly supported by those who support this girl. Yet, such a speech would have violated no church-state laws.

This is the problem with the whole notion that religion is special and deserves special respect. If the girl was a wiccan or satanist crediting her beliefs to her success, then I think the fundies would be far less interested in her free speech. Freedom of speech and separation of church and state is an important way to keep peoples "magical higher laws" from gettig special privilege. Sure, it doesn't convert anyone... but it should be no more tolerated than the examples above and less tolerated than my example (which I'd be too chicken to give) of a perfectly secular speech.
articulett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2007, 01:14 PM   #16
KingMerv00
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hammer_of_Thor View Post
Wow. I knew there were different levels of x-ians but to be the "most atheist atheist".
Read what I typed carefully. I was poking fun at the common mispelling of "atheist".
Old 30th August 2007, 01:15 PM   #17
Temporal Renegade
Last of the Time Lords

That's where the deliberate violation comes in. If she had tried to put it in at rehearsal and been told no, THEN she would have a legitimate freedom of speech issue. But she didn't, so we don't know whether it would have been or could have been made permissible. The fact that she broke school policy in making her speech rather than following school policy and being suppressed means that the blame falls on her rather than the school.

If the school had actually engaged in religious discrimination that would be a problem. From all the evidence available, it didn't.

Man, I gotta say, one day this country's going to be PACKED with lawyers, all specializing in free speech cases, skirting the rules and thinking they're more special than anyone else.
Old 30th August 2007, 01:19 PM   #18
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I'm not so much attacking their rule as the practical outcome of their actions. They might as well have set up a cross on the football field so she could at least martyr herself properly. I say don't throw her into the briar patch.

Besides, the "damage" was so minor that enforcing the rule in this case was bound to cause more trouble than it is worth. Part of enforcing the rules is being judicious.

That isn't to say there aren't ANY circumstances I wouldn't withold a diploma.
Her arguement is I knowingly broke the rules, and because of free speach I should be able to say what ever I want. Her entire arguement is wrong.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2007, 01:20 PM   #19
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

This is all, as far as I know, settled law. Students do not have a right to preach religion at commencement ceremonies in public schools. That has been ruled clearly by the USSC, as far as I know. The school was acting properly to prohibit it, and she violated those rules, which are designed to conform to the law.
"Baseball is a philosophy. The primordial ooze that once ruled our world has been captured in perpetual motion. Baseball is the moment. Its ever changing patterns are hypnotizing yet invigorating. Baseball is an art form. Classic and at the same time...progressive. Baseball is pre-historic and post-modern. Baseball is here to stay."

(Stolen from the side of a lava lamp box, and modified slightly)
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2007, 01:22 PM   #20
Hammer_of_Thor
Thinker

Read what I typed carefully. I was poking fun at the common mispelling of "atheist".
I noticed that. I found it humorous to think of different levels of atheists.

Considering all the posts on here of what a "real" x-ian is.

Last edited by Hammer_of_Thor; 30th August 2007 at 01:26 PM.
Hammer_of_Thor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2007, 01:26 PM   #21
Oubliette
*insert clever/stupid/sarcastic title here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporal Renegade

Agree.
Oubliette is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2007, 01:55 PM   #22
tsg
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MWare View Post
Do schools really have 15 valedictorians these days? Doesn't that detract a little bit from the honor? Is it so they can get lots of kids into Ivy Leagues?
Technically, a valedictory is a farewell speech, and a valedictorian is the person delivering that speech. Traditionally, the person chosen to be valedictorian was, and hence has become synonymous with, the highest ranking student in the class, but it isn't strictly necessary that it be the case.

15 of them seems a bit much, however.

In the beginning there was nothing. And the Lord said "Let There Be Light!" And still there was nothing, but at least now you could see it.
tsg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2007, 01:58 PM   #23
quixotecoyote
Howling to glory I go

Originally Posted by tsg View Post
Technically, a valedictory is a farewell speech, and a valedictorian is the person delivering that speech. Traditionally, the person chosen to be valedictorian was, and hence has become synonymous with, the highest ranking student in the class, but it isn't strictly necessary that it be the case.

15 of them seems a bit much, however.
It happens most often in schools that have done away with weighted grading practices. An A is and A is an A is an A. Thus Every all-A student is a valedictorian.
Old 30th August 2007, 02:05 PM   #24
Quinn
Breathtakingly blasphemous.

Them's fightin' words 'round these parts.
It's not a matter of living life without mystery or wonder. It's a matter of living life without the approval of people who ignorantly assume that by rejecting the irrational, I experience no mystery or wonder. And frankly, I do just fine without that.
Quinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2007, 02:07 PM   #25
tsg
Philosopher

It happens most often in schools that have done away with weighted grading practices. An A is and A is an A is an A. Thus Every all-A student is a valedictorian.
That had occurred to me after I had posted. But 15 is still too many. They should have a steel cage match to decide the winner.

In the beginning there was nothing. And the Lord said "Let There Be Light!" And still there was nothing, but at least now you could see it.
tsg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2007, 02:09 PM   #26
drkitten
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tsg View Post
But 15 is still too many. They should have a steel cage match to decide the winner.
Yeah, 'cause nerds like that are so well-equipped to handle cage matches. Why not a spelling bee instead?
drkitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2007, 02:11 PM   #27
tsg
Philosopher

Originally Posted by drkitten View Post
Yeah, 'cause nerds like that are so well-equipped to handle cage matches. Why not a spelling bee instead?
Because I don't really care who wins. I just want to see a brawl.

Old 30th August 2007, 02:49 PM   #28
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
Overreaction much?

Sorry but I consider it a blatent and purposeful slap at every non-xtian in the audience and most of the normal xtians. Either she is an idiot, a zealot or a purposeful troublemaker. Any of those should have disqualified her from graduation
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2007, 05:25 PM   #29
triadboy
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
Overreaction much?
You're the third post!?!

Quote:
I started this thread because I thought it was funny...in a sad way.

Here you have a valedictorian - someone who, it is thought, loves knowledge. And yet in her valedictorian speech(!) - she proposes that "belief" in the story of a crucified god-man who lived in the Middle East 2000 years ago will ensure everlasting life. And then in a veiled threat

Quote:
"...I encourage you to find out more about the sacrifice he made for you so that you now have the opportunity to live in eternity with him."
She informs her classmates (and everyone listening) that they've been warned and if they fail to heed her words - they will spend eternity burning in hell.

Now c'mon that's funny...but in a sad way.
triadboy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2007, 05:32 PM   #30
triadboy
Master Poster

Besides, the "damage" was so minor..
She threatened the entire audience!
Old 30th August 2007, 06:00 PM   #31
articulett
Banned

Originally Posted by Temporal Renegade View Post
I wonder how any Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, or atheist students automatically dropped their old belief system and picked up the Banner of Christ from her little speech. Not many, I'd guess.
I wonder how the religious liberty crowed would have felt if her religion had been satanism and she credited him for her diligence and ruthlessness... somehow I don't she'd convert anyone... but I bet none of the faith heads would be screaming about her being discriminated against because of her religion.
articulett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2007, 06:08 PM   #32
Miss Anthrope
All your post are belong to us

I really think that if she'd simply thanked God and left it at that, no one would have had a problem with it.
Old 30th August 2007, 06:15 PM   #33
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Location: Within smelling distance of the Grammar Death Camps
Hey! That's my line!

Is this why USA has so many churches? That the banning of stuff like this causes a desire to be part of it? Maybe, you should try encouraging kids to talk about their friend Jesus all the time - most of the kids would get bored out of their pants and never go near a church.

I find it difficult to understand why she can't make a statement like that - I would have thought that rules of free speech would apply, given that it's the kid's right to say something. Isn't denying an area of speech somewhat against the Constitution? If a kid at a public school in NZ made a speech like that, they'd probably be laughed off the stage.

It is my job to inform other JREF employees about people who wish to do the JREF harm, and you [The Atheist] are one of those.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2007, 06:18 PM   #34
Elind
Philosopher

Minor, trivial whatever. However what it was was disrespectful to the rules (she could have fought much earlier to have them changed.

At least that would have been an expression of principle), and it was disrespectful to all the listeners (who thought little of this 2000 year old execution) who had come for a day of pride for themselves and their children, not to listen to yet another fundie wanting to impose their superstition on the planet.

Clueless disrespect is what it amounted to.

Taking away her diploma probably serves nothing, but it should have had, "You have no respect" stamped across the front.
Elind is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2007, 06:35 PM   #35
JoeEllison
Cuddly Like a Koala Bear

She's a creep and a scumbag. She lacks discipline, respect, and basic decency.
JoeEllison is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2007, 08:01 PM   #36
articulett
Banned

Originally Posted by triadboy View Post
She threatened the entire audience!
with inferred eternal damnation.

(kiss jesus' ass or he'll torture you forever--he died for you, you wretched scumbags.)
Old 30th August 2007, 08:27 PM   #37
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeEllison View Post
She's a creep and a scumbag. She lacks discipline, respect, and basic decency.
Is it just me, or am I the only one who thinks pleas for "discipline, respect, and basic decency" are dimished when preceeded by "creep" and "scumbag"?

On vacation.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2007, 08:30 PM   #38
KingMerv00
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Her arguement is I knowingly broke the rules, and because of free speach I should be able to say what ever I want. Her entire arguement is wrong.
Part of enforcing the rules is balancing cost and benefit. Not every speeder on the highway gets a ticket.
Old 30th August 2007, 08:44 PM   #39
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

If the school hadn't taken action against her then it would have been very hard for them to ever take action against such things in the future.

Mention of god is okay, but as soon as she started to evangelise she was breaking the rules, and she knew it. Her case shouldn't have a hope of winning.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2007, 08:44 PM   #40
EeneyMinnieMoe
Philosopher

What the hell was the school hoping to achieve by taking away her diploma? Even if I agree that she shouldn't say things like that at a graduation, I'm not sure how holding her diploma makes the situation any better. Feelings were hurt, milk was spilt. Wah. Now suck it up and move on with life.
My guess: they wanted to punish her but, what do you know, she has technically already left. So the only repercussion left to give was to keep her diploma.

If I were principal, I'd change the policy on not giving detention to students who had already left the school instead.

What self-righteous chutzpah. I'd immediatly peg her for one of those bratty Paris Hilton types who makes everyone's life miserable in high school but she personally seems pleasant enough in this clip: http://cbs4denver.com/seenon/local_story_240165930.html
EeneyMinnieMoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy