JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags novus spiritus , sylvia browne

Old 16th September 2007, 01:42 PM   #1
angrybeliever
Scholar

Who wrote Sylvia Browne's new book?

I have just finished reading the newest book "by" Sylvia Browne, " Secret Societies".

Now, disallowing the initial laughter at reading the inside flap, where it is stated that she has a master's degree in English....I am sitting here wondering who in the hell wrote that book for her. She doesn't give any credit for a helping author....other than Francine, of course.

I believe that I have read every book that Sylvia has written, listened to tapes from at least the last 20 years, was involved in the organization, had occasion to speak with Sylvia on quite a few occasions. This doesn't include lectures, that I have attended or listened to.

My point is this. Sylvia Browne writes the way that she talks. She really does. Her cadence, euphorisms, etc are the same. This new book, well....the introduction does sound like her. The rest of the book, is too intelligently presented, literate in speech and context, to be Sylvia's.

Now, call me a skeptic...(did I really say that?) it even stretches the imagination to think that her beloved mentor Francine has taken up automatic writing.

Her cardinal, Darren English, does a lot of her research. Her next book out is a passionate subject of his, and it wouldn't surprise me if he ghost wrote this and the next book.

AB
angrybeliever is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2007, 01:43 PM   #2
Lisa Simpson
Evil Minion
Administrator

I am certain she has a ghostwriter, but who that person may be, I have no idea.

I just started reading Secret Societies. It's a hoot, isn't it?

Facts are satanic litter on the heavenly highway to blind faith! - Betty Bowers
Lisa Simpson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2007, 01:44 PM   #3
Dr. Imago
Master Poster

Originally Posted by angrybeliever View Post
I have just finished reading the newest book "by" Sylvia Browne, " Secret Societies".

Now, disallowing the initial laughter at reading the inside flap, where it is stated that she has a master's degree in English....I am sitting here wondering who in the hell wrote that book for her. She doesn't give any credit for a helping author....other than Francine, of course.

I believe that I have read every book that Sylvia has written, listened to tapes from at least the last 20 years, was involved in the organization, had occasion to speak with Sylvia on quite a few occasions. This doesn't include lectures, that I have attended or listened to.

My point is this. Sylvia Browne writes the way that she talks. She really does. Her cadence, euphorisms, etc are the same. This new book, well....the introduction does sound like her. The rest of the book, is too intelligently presented, literate in speech and context, to be Sylvia's.

Now, call me a skeptic...(did I really say that?) it even stretches the imagination to think that her beloved mentor Francine has taken up automatic writing.

Her cardinal, Darren English, does a lot of her research. Her next book out is a passionate subject of his, and it wouldn't surprise me if he ghost wrote this and the next book.

AB
Why do you continue to support this woman?

-Dr. Imago
DISCLAIMER: The above post is for informational and/or educational purposes only. It is not a substitute for the professional judgment of, in direct consultation with, a health care professional in diagnosing, treating, and/or preventing any disease or disorder. It is not to be construed as individualized medical advice, diagnosis, or a treatment recommendation. Your reliance upon the information obtained or used by you at, through, or as a result of this post is solely at your own risk.
Dr. Imago is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2007, 01:49 PM   #4
angrybeliever
Scholar

If reading the book (no, I didn't purchase it), and commenting that it seems to be another fraudulent point (not writing it herself) is supporting her, then we have different definitions of that word. If you are referring to the history of my experience with her works, then please look at old posts, and you will discover that I am so NOT a supporter of that con artist.

I made my post as one of observation, nothing more, based on my experiences in the PAST.

Hope that clears up any misunderstanding that hovers.

AB
angrybeliever is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2007, 02:55 PM   #5
PastBrowneFan
Critical Thinker

angrybeliever would be the first one to light the torches when the villagers decided to storm Castle Sylvia.

I read the book, and I agree that there is not way that Sylvia wrote this book, and likewise agree that it is more than likely Cardinal English who wrote it instead.

If Sylvia had only written a book or two than most people wouldn't be able to tell, but when you go to the bathroom and come out with another book; well, there is just too much evidence to compare that leads to someone else being the writer.
PastBrowneFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2007, 03:28 PM   #6
Dr. Imago
Master Poster

(no, I didn't purchase it)
Well, that clears that up.

She's a fraud. You feel cheated. I understand. You have seen the light. You are entitled to your feelings and opinions. I'm not doubting or diminishing that. But, I had, in fact, already searched your old posts, and you still seem a bit "conflicted" about your feelings towards her, though. It seems that you are still searching for that "genuine" thing you once felt towards her. Do you think that's fair?

I just hope you can start to channel your frustrations with her into a more positive direction. Not saying that it isn't fresh and that you don't need to "vent" (can't find a more appropriate place, after all). But, I hope that the betrayal you seem to feel will eventually fade. As a start, I'd suggest that you don't read anymore of her books, purchased or not, as any audience her books find encourages the publisher to continue to produce them.

Because perhaps the more imbued you become in your new emotions towards this woman, the less likely you are to find happiness and move on. She's not worth it, in any way, shape, or form.

-Dr. Imago
DISCLAIMER: The above post is for informational and/or educational purposes only. It is not a substitute for the professional judgment of, in direct consultation with, a health care professional in diagnosing, treating, and/or preventing any disease or disorder. It is not to be construed as individualized medical advice, diagnosis, or a treatment recommendation. Your reliance upon the information obtained or used by you at, through, or as a result of this post is solely at your own risk.
Dr. Imago is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2007, 04:33 PM   #7
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by Dr. Imago View Post
I just hope you can start to channel your frustrations with her into a more positive direction.
AB is one of those who is helping me with information for my site.

I consider that a very positive direction.

Quote:
As a start, I'd suggest that you don't read anymore of her books, purchased or not, as any audience her books find encourages the publisher to continue to produce them.
Reading a borrowed book is not something which would show up on the publisher's radar.

Curious about Sylvia Browne? Read about her at www.StopSylvia.com.

Ever wonder "What's the Harm?" with psychics, alternative medicine, etc?
RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2007, 04:39 PM   #8
Lisa Simpson
Evil Minion
Administrator

I bought my copy used. My local library made $5. The publisher/Sylvia made nothing.

Facts are satanic litter on the heavenly highway to blind faith! - Betty Bowers
Lisa Simpson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2007, 05:43 PM   #9
Minarvia
fading orb

And, unfortunately, reading her material is a must if she is to be kept an eye on. Wow, that is bad English on my part, but I think you all know what I mean. How can she be critiqued if her material isn't read by someone?
Anyway, I do appreciate that those of us who will read her stuff will be sure to borrow a copy from someone we know or get it from the local library.
Minarvia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2007, 05:46 PM   #10
Kilgore Trout
Wuse

I suppose it might be that the library tracks that sort of thing, and when considering another book by Sylvia they'll note that previous books have been checked out often, or they are able to sell the used ones. But a library is about making the materials available, regardless of the motivation behind someone that avails themselves to that service.

As someone who has read one of her books, I think I'm better for it (in a manner of speaking) for knowing what kinds of bizarre things she's written and I better understand her views. I'm also in a better position of authority to mention to friends or anyone that asks what kind of ludicrous things she's written or carry on a conversation (argument) with someone that does follow Sylvia.

Ignorance won't get you anywhere, even if it means reading absolute crap.
Old 16th September 2007, 07:11 PM   #11
Minarvia
fading orb

Kilgore Trout, you said it far better than I did.
Minarvia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2007, 07:14 PM   #12
Zep
Banned

But is the paper it is printed on softer than Sorbent?
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2007, 02:01 AM   #13
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I am sure there are ways of proving who wrote books. You could try to use one of those methods. Then you bust her again.

Is it a crime or anything for one person to secretly ghost write a book, like they have done for Sylvia?

It might make a great article (if not more) for Robert if he can prove that someone else wrote the books and name the real authors.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2007, 03:41 PM   #14
SeekingTruth
Thinker

It's almost as though she's throwing the whole "I have a Master's degree in English literature" in Lancaster's face.

As for giving anyone else credit, she did mention something about her research team - if not in the book, then on the Montel show. I see the book was dedicated to Ben Isenhower "for helping me sort through the vast amount of research for this book." Could the "Ben" she's referring to be her "assistant" Ben - the one who travels with her? Hmmm. Guess you need to pass the time in your hotel room in some way.

ST
SeekingTruth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2007, 04:03 PM   #15
Minarvia
fading orb

Originally Posted by SeekingTruth View Post
It's almost as though she's throwing the whole "I have a Master's degree in English literature" in Lancaster's face.

As for giving anyone else credit, she did mention something about her research team - if not in the book, then on the Montel show. I see the book was dedicated to Ben Isenhower "for helping me sort through the vast amount of research for this book." Could the "Ben" she's referring to be her "assistant" Ben - the one who travels with her? Hmmm. Guess you need to pass the time in your hotel room in some way.

ST
Gah, I hope you're not insinuating what it sounds like you are!
I do think we know by now that she smokes like a chimney in a hotel room, thanks to Rob's article.
And so she is STILL stating in writing that she has a Master's, huh? Oy. Either she is truly hiding her "proof" or doesn't want to make herself look scared of StopSylviaBrowne. Too late on THAT count, tho. It is obvious she is feeling the heat big time.
Old 17th September 2007, 04:29 PM   #16
SeekingTruth
Thinker

Originally Posted by Minarvia View Post
Gah, I hope you're not insinuating what it sounds like you are!

Oh my gosh, NO! Ben may not be the brightest bulb in the lamp, but I couldn't imagine him or anyone wanting any of that. LOL

ST
SeekingTruth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2007, 04:59 PM   #17
angrybeliever
Scholar

I can hear Ben now....."ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww"

AB
Old 17th September 2007, 11:24 PM   #18
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PastBrowneFan View Post
I read the book, and I agree that there is not way that Sylvia wrote this book, and likewise agree that it is more than likely Cardinal English who wrote it instead.
Cardinal English? Is that a name or a title?

No wait--I'm not sure I want to know.

So maybe "Master of English" just means she gets to boss Cardinal around?
Old 18th September 2007, 06:13 AM   #19
karmicserenade
Thinker

I would believe the ghost writer analogy. I find her books come out all too quickly for her to have written them herself. I would know, as I am working on a book of my own, and it is not going to be written overnight!

Maybe she has book elves doing the work for her while she sleeps??
karmicserenade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2007, 06:35 AM   #20
Locknar
Sum of all evils tm
Administrator

Oh my gosh, NO! Ben may not be the brightest bulb in the lamp, but I couldn't imagine him or anyone wanting any of that. LOL

ST
I dunno....cue up some Barry White, turn the lights down low...SB smoking away to provide that "fog" effect and then in her raspy voice "Come here Ben, you've been a bad boy..." woo baby!

Sorry....

As to who actually writes these books...I'd almost think there is no single ghost writer, but rather she gets ideas, partial manuscripts, etc. from her "adoring fans" that an editor blends together into a cohesive style.

To have a ghost writer would be a HUGE loose thread, it would have to be someone so trusted by SB, with 100% no chance of ever turning against her...a risk she seems unlikely to take based on her past conduct.
Old 18th September 2007, 06:49 AM   #21
CriticalThanking
Designated Hitter

Minarvia, SeekingTruth:

SOMEBODY CHANGE HIS/HER AVATAR! Maybe I am the only one, but I often associate people with avatars. Quickly reading your adjacent posts made me think one of you was arguing with yourself until I read the name carefully.

CT
CriticalThanking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2007, 08:47 AM   #22
Minarvia
fading orb

Ha ha, I know! I've had that one all along but maybe I'll go ahead and change it. It does look weird that we see 2 of us in the same threads using it! And I think I recently saw someone else choose it, too!
Old 18th September 2007, 09:29 AM   #23
SeekingTruth
Thinker

Ha ha, I know! I've had that one all along but maybe I'll go ahead and change it. It does look weird that we see 2 of us in the same threads using it! And I think I recently saw someone else choose it, too!
I guess I didn't have that feature turned on because I couldn't see anyone's avatar. Now I can and I removed mine.

ST
Old 18th September 2007, 09:42 AM   #24
zombiebex
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Locknar View Post
To have a ghost writer would be a HUGE loose thread, it would have to be someone so trusted by SB, with 100% no chance of ever turning against her...a risk she seems unlikely to take based on her past conduct.
Well, I do believe that ghost writers have to sign confidentiality agreements. If they were to spill, they would have to pay huge amounts of money to Browne. The payoff for telling would have to be much bigger than the losses for breaking a contract.
zombiebex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2007, 09:48 AM   #25
geni
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
I am sure there are ways of proving who wrote books. You could try to use one of those methods. Then you bust her again.
Not really. You can see who registered the copyright but that is about it and that doesn't have to be the real author.

Quote:
Is it a crime or anything for one person to secretly ghost write a book, like they have done for Sylvia?
Not under US law. French law would have issues.
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2007, 10:56 AM   #26
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And all the writer did,whoever he or she was,is swipe from other kook conspriacy books that have been around for years.Nothing original in the book.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2007, 01:26 PM   #27
Minarvia
fading orb

I guess I didn't have that feature turned on because I couldn't see anyone's avatar. Now I can and I removed mine.

ST
Oh, no! Don't do that! I found a cute little pic of my new puppy that I will have my hubby install for me as an avatar. No worries! You can turn it back on and pretty soon I'll have a new one that I'll like so much better.

Edit - (groan) if I can figure out how to do it... : (

Another Edit - HA! I got it! Okay, SeekingTruth, you can use your avatar with a clear conscience! : )

Last edited by Minarvia; 18th September 2007 at 02:31 PM.
Old 18th September 2007, 02:55 PM   #28
bethanythemartian
Scholar

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by zombiebex View Post
Well, I do believe that ghost writers have to sign confidentiality agreements. If they were to spill, they would have to pay huge amounts of money to Browne. The payoff for telling would have to be much bigger than the losses for breaking a contract.
My understanding is that many ghost-writers are aspiring authors. There may be a handful of people that only ghost-write, but I imagine there's a lot more who are upwardly mobile. You can say you wrote this best-selling book by... probably mostly celebrity authors. But these references are intended for use strictly within the publishing world.

Even if there isn't a very strict contract, which I doubt, I imagine breaking any code of silence on such a thing would result in the immediate termination of anything resembling a writing career.
bethanythemartian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2007, 02:59 PM   #29
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

THen they are some Ghost Written books that everybody knows who the real author is: The original novelization of the first Star Wars film way back in 1977 was credited to George Lucas,but Lucas himself admitted a few years after that Alan Dean Foster actually wrote the book.For some reason, Lucas is still credited in the reprints,though.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2007, 02:59 PM   #30
tracer
Graduate Poster

And, unfortunately, reading her material is a must if she is to be kept an eye on. Wow, that is bad English on my part, but I think you all know what I mean.
Reading her material is a must if upon her she is to be an eye kept?
tracer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2007, 05:21 PM   #31
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by geni View Post
Not really. You can see who registered the copyright but that is about it and that doesn't have to be the real author.
I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that rjh was talking about processes whereby two sufficiently-large pieces of text can be analyzed scientifically/mathematically to determine whether or not they were written by the same person.

I believe it is Textual Analysis, or at least TA is part of it. it examines and compares the vocabulary, grammar and structure of the two pieces.

I have heard that such methods have been used to determine whether some newly-discovered work is that of, say, Shakespeare, or whether certain books of the bible were written by the same person.

I would think that running such an analysis on Secret Societies vs. one of Browne's older books might be... instructive.

Curious about Sylvia Browne? Read about her at www.StopSylvia.com.

Ever wonder "What's the Harm?" with psychics, alternative medicine, etc?
RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2007, 05:53 PM   #32
Minarvia
fading orb

Originally Posted by tracer View Post
Reading her material is a must if upon her she is to be an eye kept?
Ha ha! I guess I could have said, "reading her material is a must if we are to keep an eye on her?"
Old 19th September 2007, 03:22 AM   #33
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Thanks Robert. That is what I was trying to say. I wonder how much it would cost and would anyone bar people who will never buy her books ever care?
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2007, 04:34 AM   #34
Reno
Inquisitor

TA eh? sounds a bit woo to me.....got any peer reviewed evidence to support its efficacy?

"You were told what to believe by your non-experts, and because it matches some ideologcial predisposition, you do not question it." - JayUtah
Reno is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal